SRSF Career Development Award
The award cycle for the SRSF CDA is now open through 11:59 pm, CT, December 2, 2018. No applications will be accepted after this time.
The SRS Foundation recognizes the challenges of transitioning from post-doctoral training to independent research funding. The goal of these mentored awards is to invest in promising early career researchers and assist with their transition into independence as junior investigators. The awards will be funded up to $50,000. The awards will provide one year of support for four (4) or more SRS Members. Recipients are expected to apply for a mentored or independent federal research award within the funding period. A second year of funding is not available in this award cycle.
Scope of Research Supported
The awards are intended to further our understanding of sleep, circadian rhythms and sleep/circadian rhythm disorders. Submitted proposals will need to be considered cutting edge sleep/circadian research.
One award will be chosen under the topic of sleep and electrical neuro-modulation.
Three awards will be chosen under the broad topic of sleep/circadian research.
Requirements for Applicants
- Doctoral level degree.
- Applicants must be early career investigators, at the post-doctoral, instructor, or assistant professor level. Applicants should not have received grant funding in excess of $75,000.00 per year. If an applicant is uncertain regarding eligibility, please contact the SRS Coordinator at email@example.com for approval prior to submission of the application. This communication should describe the circumstances, such as time spent in clinical training or other extenuating circumstances (e.g. maternity/paternity leave or care of dependents). The request will be reviewed to determine if an application will be accepted.
- Documented history of commitment to sleep/circadian research – publications, other grants (Not to exceed $75K/year), service to the field, etc.
- Current or prior federally funded career development award (CDA) recipients are not eligible to apply for this award. If a federally funded CDA or other federally funded grant is awarded during the funding period, the recipient can submit a revised budget and request continued support through the end of the original funding period. The revised budget must not overlap with the federally funded grant budget. (e.g. K Award)
- Mentor’s Letter (see section G. of the application for details).Two mentors may be appropriate if they provide complimentary expertise.
- Complete Application, including all components noted on the Application form.
- SRS Member in good standing.
Applications must be submitted in English using the official SRSF Career Development Application. Applying for the award involves submitting the fully completed application via e-mail as an attached PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The overarching question assessed by the reviewers will be: Will this support enable the candidate to develop the skills, knowledge and/or preliminary data needed to apply for the mentored or independent federal research award outlined in the application?
- Potential of applicant for a career as an independent investigator in sleep/circadian research
- Quality and innovation of the planned research, including how this research will facilitate applying for a CDA (Career Development Award) or independent research award. The scope of the project should reflect the length of this award (1 year).
- Appropriateness of the training plan given the proposed project and the applicants prior training and planned career pathway
- A well-justified budget (including other sources of support for the applicant and the proposed project).
- The mentor’s commitment to providing the necessary support and resources to ensure the applicant’s success in this project and in their overall career development.
The deadline for the receipt of the proposal is 11:59 pm, December 2, 2018. All proposals must be submitted electronically, on the published form with attachments, as one complete PDF document to email@example.com. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please contact the SRS Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or (630) 737-9702 with any questions.