The SRS Board of Directors Executive Committee meets to review the applications. They carefully consider all applications in relation to the special attributes of each nominee and diversity of the SRS Foundation Board of Directors to select the slate of candidates that represents an optimal balance of perspective, experience, and areas of expertise.
Upon completion of their deliberation, the names of the final candidates will be recommended to the SRS Board of Directors for approval of appointment to the SRS Foundation Board of Directors. Nominees will be notified of appointments in early May. Terms of service for new appointees to the SRS Foundation Board of Directors will commence in June at SLEEP 2023.
Nominations are due by Friday, February 17, 2023.
To be considered for the position of Director, individuals must submit the following:
Items to be emailed to email@example.com:
- letter of interest
- brief CV (2 pages) or NIH-format biosketch
- signed Board Expectations
- digital picture
Essential Characteristics of an SRS Foundation Board Member – Director
We appreciate that some of these are hard to quantify.
- Is a strategic, diverse, and creative thinker
- Has demonstrated wisdom
- A perceived leader or potential leader
- Effective communicator, willing to collaborate and compromise, not overly dogmatic
- Is committed to the SRS Foundation’s mission, has time to commit to their role on the Board, and is responsive and timely
- Knowledgeable about the Foundation and the sleep field, broadly speaking; willing to learn, where knowledge gaps exist
- Is engaged in sleep and/or circadian research and/or training and/or clinically and is committed to the advancement of the field as a whole
- Willing to understand the legal responsibilities of the board and foundation
Desirable Characteristics in at Least Some Board Members
These are skills and knowledge we need on the Board, but not every member must have.
- Diversity – The Board seeks diversity in the broadest sense: scientific, clinical, sex, race/ethnicity, geographic location, institution, international members, and academic rank
- Past service to the SRS and/or SRS Foundation in various capacities
- Past leadership roles with other societies and/or foundations
- Clinical roles/backgrounds
The Board expects that all Directors will, at minimum:
- Committed to the Foundation’s mission and programs and in full compliance with the Foundation’s Conflict-of-Interest Policy.
- Have experience or knowledge with respect to fundraising and development and be willing to represent the SRS Foundation in outreach efforts.
- Be collaborative, with a strong orientation to the future and a commitment to improvement, organizational and personal learning, innovation, organizational sustainability, and intelligent risk-taking.
Please refer to Board Expectations document for further expectations.
The Bylaws provide further insight into the governance structure of the Sleep Research Society Foundation.
For more information, contact SRSF Staff or any Board Member.