1506-NN_ADMINPRO - Statistician
Admin. Professional (+) (Fixed Term)
Summary of Duties:
The Biostatistician provides analytic and statistical support for the Occupational Sleep Medicine Group, which conducts transformative research to ensure health and safety through sleep, fatigue and cognitive performance studies.
Research foci within OSMG include, but are not limited to, studies involving pilots, athletes, and horse-human interactions, with a current emphasis on commercial aviation studies.
The Biostatistician will join OSMG’s small but highly efficient team. The majority of work assigned to the Biostatistician involves developing analysis plans according to stated research goals; supporting studies with respect to database construction, cleaning data, checking data quality, and data analysis; writing methods and results sections for peer-reviewed manuscripts; and contributing to grant writing or other research efforts as assigned. The Biostatistician will also participate in team meetings and keep full documentation of protocols, procedures, and code in an organized location on our server that can be used for direct replication.
This is a fixed term position; expected to end December 31, 2024. Position renewal will be contingent upon funding and or need for extension.
Essential Job Functions:
75% Statistical Analysis
10% Manuscript and White Paper Development
10% Study Design Planning and Grant Writing
Positions require a Master’s degree in Statistics, Biostatistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or other related field and professional experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. Any equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Expertise with R statistical programming or related software.
- Education or applied experience in correlated data analysis, including generalized estimating equations and random-effects modeling.
- The candidate must possess excellent communication skills, in particular the ability to clearly convey complex statistical concepts and analytic results to diverse audiences including non-methodologist researchers and non-scientists, both in person and in writing.
- Proactive problem-solving skills, ability to work independently, and ability to take the appropriate autonomous initiative to carry out study-related functions and understand the full context of our populations, what we are studying and particularly why we are studying it.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills, particularly scientific writing.
- Outstanding ethical integrity and a strong commitment to confidentiality in dealing with scientific data and results.
- Excellent time management and ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- The candidate will work closely with diverse teams, should be self-motivated, and exhibit strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with one or more of our priority populations.
- Experience with cluster-randomized trials, and machine learning.
- Experience using large datasets, including (but not limited to) longitudinal cohort data.
- Experience with harmonizing variables from multiple datasets. Demonstrated experience using SharePoint for collaboration. Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite of products.
- Experience preparing technical reports or manuscripts.
- Willingness to participate in didactic training opportunities at WSU, when requested by PI.
Area/College: Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine
Department Name: Department of Translational Medicine & Physiology
City, State, Zip: Spokane, WA
Department Link: https://medicine.wsu.edu
Monthly Salary: Minimum: $4,508.70, Midpoint: $5,635.87, Maximum: $6,050.50; commensurate with qualifications and experience.
In accordance with RCW 49.58.110, the above salary reflects the full salary range for this position. Individual placement within the range is based on the candidate’s current experience, education, skills, and abilities related to the position. Successful candidates typically begin up to mid-point of the salary range. For more information regarding Administrative Professional (AP) Compensation at Washington State University (WSU), please visit the following website: https://hrs.wsu.edu/managers/classification-compensation/ap-compensation-structure/.
WSU offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes paid sick and vacation leave; paid holidays; medical, dental, life and disability insurance package for employees and dependents; retirement; deferred compensation and optional supplemental retirement accounts.
For a more detailed summary of benefits offered by WSU for AP staff visit: hrs.wsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/2023-Benefit-Overview-for-Faculty-and-AP.pdf
Find total compensation information here: https://hrs.wsu.edu/managers/recruitment-toolkit/total-compensation/.
Overtime Eligibility: Ineligible
This is a Temporary position.
Temporary End Date: This is a temporary position expected to end on December 31, 2024. Renewal is dependent on the need for extension and/or if additional funding is secured to extend employment.
Screening & Posting Close Date: This position has been reposted. The screening of applications begins September 21, 2023. Applicants must submit their completed application by October 5, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. (close date).
Background Check: This position has been designated by the department to require a background check because it requires access to children or vulnerable adults as defined by RCW 74.34, engages in law enforcement, requires security clearance, interacts with WSU students in a counseling or advising capacity, has access to personal identifying and/or financial information, unsupervised access to university buildings/property, or other business-related need. A background check will not be completed until an initial determination of qualification for employment has been made.
Applicants must upload the following documents to their online application.
- Resume (required)
- Cover Letter (required)
External candidates, please upload all documents in the “Resume/CV” section of your application. Internal candidates, please upload all documents in the “Resume/Cover Letter” section of your application.
Documents may be submitted in one file or separate files. Applicants are encouraged to upload as a PDF if possible. Application materials should clearly communicate how the applicant meets all required qualifications and additional requirements.
Applicants will be requested to provide contact information for professional references within the online application.
WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EDUCATOR AND EMPLOYER. Members of ethnic minorities, women, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam-era, recently separated veterans, and other protected veteran, persons of disability and/or persons age 40 and over are encouraged to apply.
WSU employs only U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized non-U.S. citizens. All new employees must show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
WSU is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact Human Resource Services: 509-335-4521 (v), Washington State TDD Relay Service: Voice Callers: 1-800-833-6384; TDD Callers: 1-800-833-6388, 509-335-1259(f), or firstname.lastname@example.org.